Surviving Corona Virus: my Jamaican Story, by Donovan Reynolds, Independent writer.

The rapid global spread of the corona virus caught several well-prepared countries off-guard and the social and economic consequences will wreak havoc on the world economy. To date there are 33,000,000 confirmed cases with 1,000,000 deaths and a recovery rate of 24, 660,721.  As the health and human death toll grows, the economic damage is already evident and represents the largest economic shock the world has experienced in decades.

 There has been a race among developing countries and large pharmaceutical companies to develop a vaccine to prevent the spread of the virus.  

From New York to New Delhi health services have been inundated with patients, stretching hospitals beyond capacity.  The death toll continues to overstretch the economic capacity of communities and families; the body-bags continue to ratchet up from second waves of infection.  For example, the UK cases have tripled since the end of August with a second lockdown imminent. 

In Jamaica, where I currently live, there are 5,854 confirmed cases with 88 deaths and 22,550 people in quarantine.  The total population is just under 3,000,000.  Prime Minister, Andrew Holnesss, was re-elected on the 3rd September with an increased majority for the Jamaica Labour Party, however, this election appears to have contributed to a spike in corona cases.  In fact, I was hospitalized and tested positive for the virus 6 days before the election.

Despite complying with health authorities’ advice to wear a mask outside of the home and maintaining social distance in public spaces, I became suddenly ill. I experienced a fever, dry cough and tiredness with no appetite, which worsened over a short time period.  I was advised by family members to seek medical advice as they were concerned about the deterioration in my health. On the 30th August I was driven to the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) where I was tested for the virus and admitted that evening into the intensive care unit. Within a day or two it was confirmed that I had tested positive, which came as no surprise given the symptoms that I was experiencing.

The Consultant that broke the news to me was very professional in her consultation. I dug deep inside and assured myself repeatedly that I had to do what it took to survive. I circulated images of my three grandchildren in my mind and convinced myself that I had to get well to spend quality time with them.

The fact that I had underlying health issues, including a history of lung problems and Type 2 Diabetes, placed me at risk. I was given oxygen at the ICU as my oxygen levels had depleted, leaving me a little confused as insufficient amounts were reaching my brain. Although feeling lethargic, I remained conscious and could answer my mobile telephone however annoying the calls were to me during this period of severe illness. Within two to three days my condition had improved a little, and I was carted off to another ward.

On this new ward I received news of the death of the Toots Hibbert, reggae legend, who had died in the Tony Thwaites wing of the hospital, adjacent to my ward in UHWI. This news should have jolted me, however, it was offset by a wonderful memory of seeing him perform at Alexander Palace in London two years ago. I had bought tickets for my partner Ann’s birthday as she had dragged me from hospital appointments to Loughborough University where I managed to overcome a debilitating back illness and complete a MSc in Diplomacy at Loughborough University. I knew it was not my time to bow out with Toots, being two decades younger than him, so I got up out of bed and practiced my breathing exercises; I was determined to get off the oxygen as a first step to my recovery. 

The days of my stay in hospital felt like solitary confinement, I could not have visitors, but I spent time positively doing physical and breathing exercises with the physiotherapist. I was also treated by another Consultant, Mrs. Sullivan, who monitored my oxygen levels. My first experience of progress was when I had come off the oxygen and I began walking around the ward. When the physiotherapist saw that I was off the oxygen she screamed with delight. My recovery became possible with the insistence of a Barbadian dietitian whose positive motivational quips got me eating again.

The staff of the hospital was certainly a contributary factor to my recovery. They were professional and methodical despite the limited available resources. The bathrooms needed urgent repairs and every time I had to use these facilities, I cringed. Outside of that unpleasant experience it felt comparable to the services that I had experienced while I was admitted into hospital in the UK. In my opinion, the consultants were on point at all times compared to a some of the consultants who treated me in the UK. No wonder Jamaica has such comparatively good recover rates from this virus.

I spent two and a half weeks in the Hospital on a mixed ward. There, I saw many patients presenting with different symptoms to the Corona virus: some had strokes, others experienced chronic aches and pains alongside episodes of diarroeah. The age groups varied - I saw two babies below the age of five and a 10-year-old boy on the ward with his mother, although the average patient seemed to be between fifty and seventy. The medics made sure that I was in an advanced stage of recovery; by the time I was discharged I felt reasonably healthy with minimal side effects. I believe that I now have herd immunity although I must be cautious as it is early days in terms of understanding the virus and its long-term symptoms.

With nearly a million deaths globally the world is faced with its worst post war threat. According to the World Bank it envisions that the Corona Virus will cause a 5.2 percent contraction in global GDP in 2020. The need for a vaccine or a natural weakening of the virus are suggestions being touted by flailing politicians.  The next two years, as we scramble frantically for a solution, we have to believe that scientists provide the answer that is desperately needed.   

Donovan Reynolds is CEO for Kingstonmouth.com He is a trained Diplomat, Human Rights Activist, and a Communication Consultant. This article is edited by Ann Smith, a British Educator and Social Activist. Kingstommouth.com is a charitable organization that has been in existence for over eight years. We have an interest in Politics, Human Rights, and International Development Issues. Viewers wishing to comment on this article may do so at the space provided on this blog. Alternatively, they can contact us at kingstonmouth 63@ gmail.com or on our Twitter or Facebook Page.

  

 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Title: "Charisma and Controversy: the Parallel Political Revolutions of Chairman Mao and President Trump" by Donovan Reynolds, independent writer.

The recent PNP Shadow cabinet re-shuffle by Donovan Reynolds, Independent writer.

Setting the Record Straight: Jamaica's economic performance under the current JLP government, by Educator and Political commentator, Dr. Clovis Nelson.